Often a new year sparks a renewed focus and ambition. To set you up for success, we’ve put together 5 tips for accomplishing your 2018 resolutions. Don’t have a resolution? We’ve also put together a few feeding tube-related ideas for you to consider.
5 Tips for Accomplishing Your Resolution:
- Choose one: While you may have a long list of things you want to achieve this year, pick the one that you feel is most important and focus on it.
- Write it down. Whether it’s in a journal or a digital document, put your goals in writing to make it more tangible.
- Create a plan with action commitments. Now that you’ve written down your goal, think of how you will achieve it and write that down, too. Be sure to highlight milestones throughout your plan that require specific actions. For example, if your goal is to make time for self-care, milestones may range from taking 20 minutes each day to read your favorite book, to scheduling a monthly night out with your best friends or significant other.
- Find an accountability partner. Support from others plays a vital role in keeping us focused and motivated on achieving our goal. Find someone with whom you can share your resolution and can help cheer you on along the way.
- Reward Yourself. While the feeling of accomplishment is a reward in and of itself, treating yourself with small rewards along the way can help with motivation. For example, if your goal is to make more food at home, perhaps you can treat yourself to a new blender or recipe book, once you have reached a certain milestone. You deserve it!
If you haven’t set a resolution this year, here are a few ideas for those in the tube-feeding community:
- Making time for self-care—important for both feeding tube consumers and caregivers!
- Creating an organization system for feeding tube and medical supplies that is maintainable.
- Transitioning from canned formula to home-blended meals, provided your doctor approves.
- Having the confidence to get out and about more with your feeding tube—from dining out to traveling.
Do you have a New Year’s Resolution or tips for sticking to your commitments? Share with us on Facebook.
This article originally appeared in the January 2016 edition of MIC-KEY Connections